KEYC - Mankato News, Weather, Sports - - Mankato East's Albert Podshivaylov Named Prep of the Week

Mankato East's Albert Podshivaylov Named Prep of the Week

Posted: Updated:

Boys Prep Athlete of the Mankato East's boys soccer team has found themselves back in the state tournament this year.

News 12 Sports Erick Lind says the Cougars are led in the middle by senior Albert Podshivaylov (Poad–shi–vy–luv).

He was just named all–state, and he's our KEYC Scheels All–Sports Boys Prep Athlete of the Week.

Albert Podshivaylov moved to the United States from Russia when he was 10 years old.

The midfielder started in the Mankato East soccer program in middle school.

Now as a senior he has helped lead the Cougars to their second Class–A state tournament.

Aspelund says the biggest difference Podshivaylov makes on the field, is just his presence, running the defense 80 percent of the games, and really only playing midfield the other 20 percent.

That makes his 6 goals and 6 assists on the year, that much more impressive.

Podshivaylov became a vocal leader as the season has progressed, and he says it is great to set the right example to his younger teammates.

Podshivaylov was a main contributor as a sophomore when the Cougars were the runner–up at state two years ago.

After being named first team all–state, he's ready to make a run at the championship once again.

That's why he's our KEYC Scheels All–Sports Week.