The Mankato Department of Public Safety was dispatched to a house fire at 1:57 A.M. on Saturday.
Officials say the blaze broke out at 520 North Broad Street.
Upon arrival, crews found the fire in the first-floor stairway. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames before the blaze extended to the rest of the home.
No injuries were reported as a result of the incident. Smoke alarms sounded, and the resident was able to escape unharmed.
Damages are estimated at $5,000.
Authorities say the fire was caused by the improper disposal of staining rags.