A North Mankato Home is destroyed by fire over the weekend and a cigarette may be to blame. North Mankato Police say fire crews were called to the Camelot Mobile Home Park just after 10:30 Saturday night. Authorities say when they arrived on scene; the back section of the home was fully engulfed in flames. The resident escaped without injury. North Mankato assistant fire chief Richard Inman says once they knew no one was in the home; the department's number one concern was putting out the fire and making sure it didn't spread to surrounding mobile homes. Inman says, "You know there is not much distance between the two buildings and so you can have some exposure from one to the next."
The North Mankato Fire Department says the preliminary investigation indicates a cigarette left burning in the home caused the fire. It was a total loss due to heat and smoke damage.