Authorities in Minnesota have arrested a 12-year-old boy in what they say was a prank call that prompted a school lockdown.
The middle school in New Prague, a small town about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis, was locked down after the 911 call came in about 8 a.m. Wednesday.
Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka says the caller claimed there was a person armed with an AK-47 in a school building, and that a few people had been shot.
New Prague Police Chief Mark Vosejpka says police determined there was no threat within about half an hour, and quickly zeroed in on the 12-year-old. He didn't say what led authorities to the boy.
The school canceled classes for the rest of the day but students are expected to return Thursday.
Also, St. Clair Schools went in to what they term a "soft lock down" Wednesday. School officials tell News 12 they received information from the Blue Earth County Sheriff's office about the New Prague incident. At the time, a lack of information as the New Prague incident developed was what triggered the St. Clair's soft lock down. At Noon, the school was still awaiting the all-clear.
We will have much more on this story tonight on News 12 at 5 & 6.