KEYC - Mankato News, Weather, Sports - - Oily Rags Caused Mankato Barn Fire

Oily Rags Caused Mankato Barn Fire

Posted: Updated:
MANKATO, MN -

Authorities say improper storage of oily rags is to blame for the Mankato barn fire we told you about over the weekend.

Investigators say the blaze that caused an estimated $30,000.00 in damage on Saturday, is a result of spontaneous combustion from oily rags used to clean gardening tools. Deputy Director of the Mankato Department of Public Safety, Jeff Bengtson, said, "The oily rags that they were using to do that maintenance were not disposed of in a metal air-tight can.Those rags, if there's any oil in them that's not completely dried out...the oil reacts with the fabric of the rags and generates heat and therefore spontaneous combustion." To prevent this, officials say oily rags should be disposed of in an all metal, air tight container.