KEYC - Mankato News, Weather, Sports - - Snow Drifts Cause 3 To Be Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Pois

Snow Drifts Cause 3 To Be Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted: Updated:
NEW ULM, Minn. -

Three people are taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning in New Ulm.

Dispatchers received a call from the 1000 block of North Broadway with the three people residing at the home complaining of sickness.

New Ulm Police and Allina Ambulance responded, and the three adults were taken to New Ulm Medical Center.

Police say snowdrifts around the home's exhaust and intake vents were the cause of the problem.

Sgt. Paul Kalow says, "In close proximity to it there was a pipe that leads into the home and the exhaust was being routed back into the home."

But luckily the people in the house were able to notice the signs before it was too late.

Dr. Joan Krikava says, "The first symptoms tend to be headaches and maybe a little nausea, so people think they have the flu. If that's all they have they may never figure it out until it gets more serious, like confusion, weakness and unconsciousness. Obviously if it gets to the unconsciousness mode, you're a little too late."

It can be hard to know whether a snowdrift is causing you problems, and that's where a warning device comes in.

Sgt. Kalow says, "If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, it's a good idea to go purchase one. If you do have one, make sure it's working properly."