1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup shortening
3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups raisins or currants
1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, coarsely chopped
2 cups applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Line bottom with wax paper and grease again.
- In large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well.
- Combine 1/2 cup of flour with nuts, raisins, dates and 1/2 cup cherries, stir until coated. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt to egg mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold fruit and nut mixture and applesauce into batter. Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan.
- Arrange cherry halves and pecans on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
- Cool upright in pan 5 minutes. Turn upright onto wire rack and remove pan and parchment paper. Cool completely.