Get that celebrity look
By Carrie Stern Kleiner for Bright Smile Beautiful You
Want to get Beyonce's smoky eyes or Kim Kardashian's lengthy lashes? We asked the experts who help get celebrities gorgeous just how they achieve a red carpet-worthy look, day and night.
Who says you can't break the rules? Combining a matte red lip and a swipe of eyeliner -- typically a makeup no-no -- results in an unexpectedly fresh-faced and appropriate-for-daytime look. Need proof? Just check out Cameron Diaz.
Get the Look
- Prep skin with a tinted moisturizer. Go for a light-reflecting formula; it'll prevent the look from coming off flat. Or add a bit of shimmer cream to your tinted moisturizer for a subtle glow, says celebrity makeup artist Jessica Liebeskind, who has worked with Heidi Klum, Gretchen Mol and Olivia Palermo.
- A thin application of liquid liner defines eyes. Trace the pen's tip along the lid, keeping super-tight to the lash line. Afraid of liquid? Try a creamy, budge-proof formula.
- Highlight your kisser with a berry-red lipstick. The look can be classic with a matte finish. Or for a more daytime-appropriate approach, apply a sheer stain or gloss. Bonus: Blue-toned reds can make teeth appear whiter.
All About Eyes
Nothing says sexy like a smoky eye. Just ask Beyonce, who does sultry makeup like no one else. By pairing the heavily highlighted eye area with a sweet pink on her lips, she's saying, "I'm an approachable woman who is also in charge."
Get the Look
- Go for purples. The look is more wearable and incredibly chic. Using a lavender cream shadow, sweep color from your lashes to the crease. Then, smudge a deeper-pigmented purple along the upper lashes. Extend the color out under the lower lashes.
- Add definition. An application of mascara adds extra drama to the eye. "Look for formulas that say, ‘fullness' or ‘volume,'" says Liebeskind. "These lash enhancers will add to an overall smoldering appearance." Curl your lashes and swipe on three coats.
- Offset the strength of the eyes with a pretty pink pout. Make sure your lips are healthy -- even the goopiest glosses can't hide chapped lips. Insider tip: Use a washcloth to exfoliate your kisser. Follow up with a generous dose of lip balm before swiping on gloss.
Day and Night
Let's face it, one of the best perks of being a girl is that we get to go glam. And sometimes, it's fun to pull it off day and night. Just look at Kim Kardashian, who goes super-bold with sexy lashes while keeping the rest of her makeup clean, striking the perfect balance.
Get the Look
A matte complexion provides the best canvas for all-out glamour. The key to looking fresh -- not cakey -- is mega-moisture, says Liebeskind, who suggests using a hydrant-rich foundation. Apply with a sponge for an even finish.
The trick to versatile makeup is flirty lashes. Create an arsenal with an eyelash curler, a heavy-duty mascara and individual false lashes. "For fuller lashes, place two falsies on the outer corners of your eyes," says Liebeskind. For more volume, sneak in two to three more per lid.
Slick on a light-reflecting gloss. A formula gloss that lets your natural lip color shine through looks sexy and understated, says Liebeskind.
Carrie Stern Kleiner has contributed to publications including The Knot, TotalBeauty.com, Fitness and Health. She was an editor for New York Magazine Wedding Guide and the senior beauty editor for Quick and Simple magazine.
Copyright (c) 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.