KEYC Mankato, MN
Caitlyn Lorr started at KEYC in April 2022. Caitlyn is the morning and midday meteorologist, providing the forecast for the KEYC News Now This Morning and KEYC News at Noon.
• Hometown: Wonder Lake, Illinois
• What's your favorite part of your job?
Helping people stay safe during severe weather events and helping people plan their day-to-day activities with lifestyle forecasts.
• What's your dream story?
Researching the change in the weather and climate of the area over the past 50 years to see how much has changed and what has caused these changes (both positive and negative).
• What did you want to be when you were growing up?
What I wanted to be changed nearly every month until I decided I wanted to get into the STEM fields when I was a Freshman in college.
• What got you interested in weather?
My intro to meteorology class my Freshman year of college. When I was younger I used to be absolutely terrified of storms/stormy weather, but when I took that intro class and learned more about how weather works it just felt natural and was so interesting that I decided to stick with it. Since that change, I have loved learning about weather, stormy weather patterns, and storm chasing. I have seen a total of 7 tornadoes so far in my few years of chasing.
• Who do you admire the most?
I actually admire my family the most as they have been the ones who have been there to help me through every step of my journey through life so far. I always cherish their input and advice.
• What's your favorite candy?
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Skittles
• What's your favorite sport to watch?
• Who is your favorite musical artist?
Queen and Meat Loaf (I'm a sucker for classics and 80s rock).
• What's your favorite food?
Pizza or pasta
• Favorite book?
• Do you have any hidden talents?
I can figure skate pretty well!
• What's one thing you can't live without?
• What are your hobbies?
I love playing video games with my friends and family, you can typically find me playing Tetris 99, Animal Crossing, or Rocket League. I also love to color, explore the outdoors, and spend time with friends.
• What's your favorite season?
As a meteorologist I would have to say spring and summer due to the severe weather. Outside of being a meteorologist, I actually love winter because of the snow.
• What's your proudest moment?
Being the first in my family to graduate from college with a Bachelor's Degree.
• If you could have any superpower, which would you pick?
The ability to fly or turn invisible whenever I wanted.
• What's your biggest pet peeve?
When people don't use blinkers when driving.
• If you could spend a week anywhere, where would you go?
Hawaii or Italy
• What kind of animal would you want to be?
A cat, more specifically a white tiger. They are my favorite animal.
• Have you ever been told that you look like someone famous?
Not anyone famous, the closest I have gotten to that would be someone saying, "You look like that meteorologist on the news!" To which I usually respond with "that would actually be me!"
• If you had access to a time machine, where and when would you go?
I would go back in time to be able to see Queen perform at Wembley Stadium for the Live Aid concert, or I would go back to 1969 to experience Woodstock and listen to the live bands that played throughout the festival.